Saturday, October 9, 2010

L Train "Shoulds"

If you have ever been to New York City, or are familiar with the transportation, you will know that New Yorkers are pretty dependent on the subways to get around.  In the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn, we are especially reliant on the L train to get anywhere.

This weekend the brilliant MTA suspended all L train service, thereby leaving Williamsburg commuters stranded / inconvenienced.  Even better, this was not announced until Thursday, the same day we were told our monthly passes would be raised over 10% in December.

What a week for those of us trying not to clog the street with cars and fumes!  However, as with all adversity, this is a wonderful opportunity to again practice living should-less.  The reality is there are no L trains.  This is true whether I "should" it not.  There are ways to get into Manhattan for work, it will simply take [at least] an hour instead of my usual 15 minute commute.

If I sit around and talk about how horrible things are, then I pay the price for that, not the MTA.  I will get angry, my blood pressure will go up, I will have trouble sleeping, and feel worse.  If I tell myself that it's no big deal, I'm just a little inconvenienced, I have new music on my ipod to listen to, and this is just an opportunity to see more Little Miracles, then I feel better.

Even inconvenienced I realize I still have choices.  How about you?

Damon L. Jacobs is a Licensed Marriage Family Therapist seeing individuals, couples, and families in New York City. He is also the author of "Absolutely Should-less: The Secret to Living the Stress-Free Life You Deserve."


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you bring up a really good point - when the subway is slow, suspended, re-routed, etc it becomes easy to get caught up in the "inconvenience" of it all but it feels better to spend the time doing something nice with yourself - listening to new music, doing a little extra reading, people watching, a cat nap, what have you!